Project objectives and targets
Objectives and tasks of the Project
Two main objectives are set for the Project:
- Phase-out of substances that deplete the ozone layer and affect the climate—
HFCs and HCFCs—at one or several fish and seafood processing enterprises of the Murmansk oblast.
- Initiation of the conversion of enterprises engaged in fish processing, and repair and servicing of onboard refrigeration and air-conditioning equipment in the Murmansk Oblast to environmentally safe refrigerants, and transfer of ozone- and climate-safe technologies to these enterprises.
To reach the Project’s objectives, 5 tasks will be completed:
- Institutional capacity will be strengthened to ensure phase-out of ODSs and F-gases in the fishing industry of the Murmansk oblast.
- ODSs and F-gases will be phased out at the selected fish-processing enterprises.
- Leakages from industrial refrigeration equipment used in the fishing industry of the Murmansk oblast will be reduced and energy efficiency improved.
- The system for ODS and F-gas recovery, recuperation, reclamation, recirculation, and disposal will be established in the Murmansk oblast.
- Phase-out of ODSs and F-gases in other sectors of the Murmansk oblast economy and the Russian fishing industry (including the Arctic zone) will be facilitated.
Phase 1 outcomes
The Project is implemented in two phases. Phase 1 included:
- inventory and evaluation of F-gas and ODS banks in fish and seafood processing equipment in the Murmansk oblast;
- survey of onshore fish-processing enterprises to evaluate the possibility of their conversion to ozone- and climate-safe substances and technologies;
- preparation of the list of enterprises and terms of reference for conversion to ozone- and climate-safe substances and technologies;
- development of the recommendations to the Government of the Russian Federation and Project Supervisory Committee;
- preparation of the project document for implementation of the investment phase of the Project (Phase 2).
The inventory revealed large-scale use of ODS and F-gases in the Murmansk oblast:
- refrigeration equipment of the fishing industry of the Murmansk oblast contains approximately 32.5 ODP t and 1 mln t CO2-eq. of ODSs and F-gases;
- annual leakage of ODSs and F-gases from refrigeration equipment amounts to approximately 4 ODP t and 118 t CO2-eq.
The inventory showed that burning of both diesel and fuel oil by vessels to maintain the operation of their refrigeration equipment, and generation of electricity for refrigeration equipment of fish-processing enterprises considerably contribute to greenhouse gas emissions: more than 200 thousand t CO2-eq. annually.
The inventory revealed associated environmental issues: generation of approximately 5.5 thousand t of waste (metal scrap) in the nearest 20–25 years, use of non-refillable cylinders to charge equipment with ODSs and F-gases, etc.
After the technical and financial evaluation of potential technical aid recipients, a list of the Project beneficiaries was prepared.
- Onshore enterprises:
- Servicing and fish-processing enterprises:
- LLC Ref-Technologies,
- LLC Klimat i Komfort,
- LLC Ref-Master,
- LLC SPS-Kholod-Murmansk,
- LLC Pelaghika,
- LLC Murman Fish,
- LLC TD Samson-trade.
- Enterprise selected for the organization of the ODS and F-gas recycling and disposal system:
- Organization selected for the organization of the training center:
- Government and ministries of the Murmansk oblast.
The implementation of Phase 2 is expected to phase out approximately 18.65 ODP t of ODSs and reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 308 t CO2-eq. within 5 years through lower consumption of ODSs and F-gases and adoption of new energy-efficient technologies and substances.
Project targets 
|Activities||Phase-out, ODP t||Phase-out, t CO2-eq.||Justification|
|Conversion of the pilot onshore enterprises||1.77||59,283.00||Direct phase-out of ODSs and F-gases through conversion|
|Reduction of leakages within 5 years after completion of the Project||2,99||88,168.17||Phase-out through reduction of leakages by 15%|
|Phase-out of ODSs and F-gases during the implementation of the Project and 5 years after||13,89||80,271.73||Following the survey findings and establishment of the ODS and F-gas recycling and disposal system|
|Activities on energy efficiency improvement at onshore enterprises of the fishing industry of the Murmansk oblast within 5 years after completion of the Project||29.38||Phase-out through reduction of energy consumption by 8%|
|Activities on energy efficiency improvement at ships of the fishing industry of the Murmansk oblast within 5 years after completion of the Project||80,476.29||Phase-out through reduction of the amount of burnt fuel to maintain the operation of refrigeration systems by 8%|
- The Project targets are based on:
- business plans developed for the beneficiaries;
- data on annual average direct emissions (leakages) of ODSs and F-gases by sectors of the fishing industry of the Murmansk oblast;
- expected wastes of ODSs, F-gases, and metal scrap of refrigeration equipment to be disposed of in the fishing industry of the Murmansk oblast;
- data on annual average indirect emissions in the fishing industry of the Murmansk oblast.