The national executing agency of the final phase was the International Centre for Scientific and Technical Information (ICSTI).
ICSTI is a not-for-profit intergovernmental organization set up in 1969 under the provisions of a multilateral, intergovernmental agreement, with headquarters in Moscow.
In 1971 ICSTI was registered with the UN Secretariat in accordance with Article 102 of the UN Charter.
ICSTI mandate is to provide information, analytical, consultative and organizational support to international co-operation in science, technologies and business. In accordance with this objective ICSTI carries out its activities in three main areas:
- information and analytical services;
- innovations and technology transfer;
- support to small and medium business.
During 46 years of its operation ICSTI has established and developed a sound and long-term network of partnerships with research, academic, business organizations from the public and private sector of its member and partner countries, NGOs, as well as international agencies (UN family, EU, etc.).
- International, intergovernmental status and long-term experience in managing business projects;
- Established contacts and network of partners in RF: Government agencies (e.g., RF Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Science & Education, Academy of Sciences), business, research communities;
- Standing relations with international agencies supporting SMEs, innovations, technology transfer (e.g., UNIDO, etc.);
- Partnerships with large innovation/business associations in member and non-member states (Russian-Italian Chamber of Commerce & Industry, Fraunhofer GmbH, Germany, etc.).
ICSTI has a team of professional and dedicated experts fully committed to successful implementation of the set tasks and bringing a broad range of expertise, knowledge and understanding.
Today over 150 specialists are working in ICSTI headquarters in Moscow. All in all during 40 years of ICSTI existence the title “ICSTI staff member” has marked personal biographies of more than 2,500 people.
Many of members of its team are still successfully working today in national information centers or information companies in Bulgaria, Hungary, Germany, Mongolia, Poland, Romania, Russia, Czech Republic, Cuba, Vietnam and other parts of the world.
ICSTI and the Project
Since March 4, 2015, functions of the Executing Agency of the Project under a respective agreement with UNIDO are carried out by the International Centre for Scientific and Technical Information (ICSTI), an international, intergovernmental organization based in Moscow. ICSTI was selected in this capacity in keeping with rules and procedures of GEF and UNIDO and with account of ICSTI status and experience in implementing international and national projects.